Red Jacket Orchards Apples, All-American Frozen Peppermint Fudge Torte, Henry Owsley and Lexi Van de Walle
Camille and I made a festive Christmas dinner for 8 and included quite a few local ingredients. Everyone loved it - Sandra, Wendy, Jim, Casey, Henry, Cory, Camille and moi!
The menu was scrumptious.....
- Local goat and blue cheeses
- Crown roast of pork that was moist and delicious but not local dressed with rosemary from our garden that's now in on the windowsill til spring
- Organic red swiss chard sauteed with onions, paprika, golden raisins and toasted almonds
- Smashed red new potatoes with Ronnybrook Farms heavy cream and organic butter (fattening but hey it's Christmas)
- Wild rice stuffing with ground pork, red and green Red Jacket Orchards apples from Geneva, NY, locally grown onions, locally baked French bread crumbs, celery and dried cranberries from Massachusetts
- Homemade gravy made with pork pan drippings, beef demi-glace, homemade chicken stock and a deep brown and buttery roux
Dessert was the All-American Peppermint Stick Torte with Fudge Topping -- my family's favorite Christmas recipe that I found in Bon Appetit Magazine in 1996 (every Christmas I promise to make it again the following year). Check out the recipe here: EPICURIOUS.com for this unbelievable ice cream cake that's pretty easy to make. I increased the recipe by 50% to fit my over sized spring pan and whipped up a few more pints of Ronnybrook heavy cream, local eggs and organic, dark chocolate and Newman's Own Chocolate Cookies. YUMMY.
On Friday, I'll be on a fruit and treadmill program!!
ABOUT THE FARMS
Thick, heavy cream that pours out of the cute little bottles like a slow ketchup. Deliciously creamy. For markets and retail locations in New York and the Hamptons check out their website. I buy Ronnybrook at Citartella and Fresh Direct.
Hudson Valley, NY
Red Jacket Orchards is a family-owned farm in Western New York's finger lake region. RJO has excellent distribution in New York City's stores and farmers markets. They are located on Routes 5&20 in Geneva, where I lived when I went to college at Hobart and William Smith. I buy the cider, juices, fresh apples, apple butter and apricot jam. Check out their website.
Red Jacket Orchards