What a mess outside -- a foot of snow, slushy streets, gigantic puddles. And, not a lot of fresh, local food to be found today as I suspect a lot of the farmers who sell on Fridays at Unions Square Farmers Market stayed close to the farm.
Which got me thinking about how hard it is to be a locavore in the northeast in February, March and April.
Here's a list of markets that are open all year to help you get through winter and early spring until your CSA starts or neighborhood farmers market opens for the season.
Tomorrow, there are NINE markets open in Brooklyn and Manhattan.
• 77th Street - Sunday
• 97th St - Friday
• Abingdon Square - Saturday
• Bowling Green - Tuesday and Thursday
• Columbia University - Thursday and Sunday
• Dag Hammarskjold Plaza - Wednesday
• Inwood - Saturday
• Port Authority Bus Terminal - Thursday
• Staten Island Ferry Whitehall Terminal - Tuesday and Friday
• Tompkins - Sunday
• Tribeca - Saturday
• Tucker Square - Thursday and Saturday
• Union Square - Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday
• Brooklyn Boro Hall - Tuesday and Saturday
• Cortelyou Rd - Sunday
• Fort Greene Park - Saturday
• Grand Army Plaza - Saturday
• Greenpoint McCarren Park - Saturday