As a member of the Board of Trustees for The Culinary Trust, I am co-producing the International Association of Culinary Professionals (IACP) first New York City Regional Conference. Please join us on February 18th and 19th.
The two-day event is $149 and will be held at multiple venues in the city. It's open to everyone and expected to sell out so register soon.
Registration and more information can be found at The Culinary Trust Website and on the registration page.The events are too many to list so here are some highlights for locavores and food policy folks.
- Plenary Sessions on Friday, February 18th:
- Sam Kass (invited), White House Asst. Executive Chef and Michelle Obama's Chefs Move to School Initiative
- 'What's New What's Next" including Kim Severson, The New York Times, Marion Nestle, "Food Politics" Author, Chef Bill Telepan, Wellness in the Schools and Michael Hurwitz, NYC Greenmarkets
- Evening receptions and optional meals at some of NYC's best locavore restaurants (Telepan, Blue Hill)
- Multiple Workshops on Saturday, February 29th including AM and PM panels on School Food, Grains in NY and Local and Sustainable Meat, Communications in the Digital Age and The Foods of New York
Some of the workshops on Saturday
Farm to School
The French Culinary Institute 462 Broadway at Grand Street Speaker: Moderator: Gabriella Petrick of NYU’s Food Studies Program
Panelists: Ben Flanner of Brooklyn Grange, Beth Feehan of NJ Farm to School Network, Sophie McNally/Christiane Baker of Edible Schoolyard at Gravesend (Invited) Stacey Murphy of BK Farmyards
Chefs Who've Moved to Schools
The French Culinary Institute 462 Broadway at Grand Street Speaker: Moderator: Fabio Parasecoli of The New School’s Food Studies Program
Panelists: Bill Telepan and Nancy Easton of Wellness in the Schools, Chef Bobo of The Calhoun School, John Turenne of Sustainable Food Systems
Traditional and Heritage Wheat and Grains in New York
James Beard House 167 West 12th Street, b/t 6th & 7th Avenues Speaker: June Russell, Greenmarket
Panelists: Thor Oechner, Farmer Ground & Cayuga Organics, Elizabeth Dyck, formerly with NOFA-NY Northeast Wheat Project Peter Endriss, baker, Nathan Leary
School Lunch Size Me
The French Culinary Institute 462 Broadway at Grand Street Speaker: Moderator: Jack Murnighan of Babble.com
Panelists: Amy Kalafa and Alex Gunuey of Two Angry Moms, Avis Richards of Birds Nest Productions, Beatriz Beckford of the Brooklyn Food Coalition, Morgan Spurlock (Invited)
Local and Sustainable Meat in New York
James Beard House 167 West 12th Street, b/t 6th & 7th Avenues
Michael Hurwitz, Greenmarket Director - Moderator
Panelists: Flying Pig Farm, Glynwood Center, Pat LaFrieda (butcher), & Deborah Krasner (author, "Good Meat")
This should be a great event! Please sign up before it sells out at The Culinary Trust Website and on the registration page.